Why MTV rules the world...
Recently at lunch with some extended family I experienced what I shall dub "something worthy of thought". I would like to make this a regular occurrence on my blog, vehement opposition, enlightened arguments, or any response you the reader feel is necessary is always greatly appreciated.
Back to my recent lunch... My cousin, who is eight years old, pay close attention to her age because it adds a great deal of significance to this post. Back to the point, my cousin jumps in and says, "For my birthday I want to PIMP my bike". We all had a good laugh about that, except for my uncle and Grandma, they were very offended by such vulgar language. While my young cousin was being reprimanded for her obscene language I realized how much influence media networks like MTV, have over their viewers. While this example shows us a trivial and almost meaningless way MTV has changed the English language, by expanding the way we use "pimp" from a noun to a verb. We must ask ourselves what else are they influencing? In this day and age, media giants have the ability to reach all over the world instantaneously shaping and influencing minds-particularly the not so rigid and undeveloped minds of our nation's youth, myself included. Only the future will reveal the impact of such widespread media influence in the generations to come.
-Jab out-
Back to my recent lunch... My cousin, who is eight years old, pay close attention to her age because it adds a great deal of significance to this post. Back to the point, my cousin jumps in and says, "For my birthday I want to PIMP my bike". We all had a good laugh about that, except for my uncle and Grandma, they were very offended by such vulgar language. While my young cousin was being reprimanded for her obscene language I realized how much influence media networks like MTV, have over their viewers. While this example shows us a trivial and almost meaningless way MTV has changed the English language, by expanding the way we use "pimp" from a noun to a verb. We must ask ourselves what else are they influencing? In this day and age, media giants have the ability to reach all over the world instantaneously shaping and influencing minds-particularly the not so rigid and undeveloped minds of our nation's youth, myself included. Only the future will reveal the impact of such widespread media influence in the generations to come.
-Jab out-

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home